Friday 28 August 2015

Not Better. Not Enlightened.

We realise we can be deliberately antagonistic. Okay to go with that sometimes though, seems to be the flavour of the century. Moan moan. It was just the other day that I found out that the new Banksy tautology is called "dismaland". I laughed like a fart. But it did lead me to think about the current stress placed on street art. It feels like every broken corner is being cleaned up and dragged screaming into a world coerced and monitered by schemes of false perfection. If you go to Athens you'll see graffiti all over the walls. Little messages in different languages. Symbols and sigils. And none of it is polished. Every slogan overcomes and physically detains another. Now think about the imperative of a contemporary British street artist. Cleverness. Juxtapositions. Tesco and a starving child. The entire affect orbitting around the comfort of being shown what you already know, and that showing is also the relief of not being, in that being is in itself nostalgia; pining for not being which is made momentarily and accutely possible only within the comprehension of an imagined elsewhere; dependant on its spectrality. Not sure about that or stating it. Just testing it. Now think about counterculture. Think about what actually lasts and performs any kind of alternative. At once remaining and altering. Martin Rev made an album based on the Catholic Mass and it's amazing. Possibly one of the most damaged/hurt/hopeful things I've ever heard. Every few minutes the rythmns fuck up. The synths are unmistakably false and the vocals are usually just mumbles, sobs and slurs. Now think about production values, which are work ethics based on the idea of a limit and perfection. In dismaland you can remote control overcrowded refugee boats. For all we care you can drown yourself. You're so cynical, aren't you. Top fucking Brooker. On a wall in Athens we saw scrawled in haste the words "I am sorry for what I said when I was hungry". That pretty much does it. Instead of going to a white gallery why not just sit with your eyes closed humming those words over and over again, louder and louder, until suddenly you apparate in the middle of a conversation about ethical banking with massive slabs of granite for hands and you smash the walls and there is no language left except "I am sorry for what I said when I was hungry" jutting out in every direction, opening and closing, ringing, screeching and humming. Like anyone can tell us where to move our eyes and what they should do. Like art is not full of suffering. Defying cleverness. Yeah. Moan moan moan. Get back to the point. All I really wanted to say, Mr. Watkins, is I hope you're happy and enjoying your hols, but I still think we need to batter these arts council shits when we get the chance. Lots of love. xx

6 comments:

  1. Trying to run a poetry workshop in particular for marginalised groups in Brighton? This is the level of cooperation you get from this council.
    "Following on from our conversation yesterday, I have double checked with our buildings team and there is no negotiation on the need for a steward at the weekend.
    I have spoken to the manager of stewards to find out costs for you;
    Weekend hourly rate is £14.82; weekend pay is higher than the weekly rate, additionally as they are casual staff the minimum amount of hours they can be booked for is 3, although the reality is that understandably most of the stewards are unlikely to agree to work less than 4 hours.
    Total £59.28.
    I realise this cost could possibly be beyond the means of the attendees, however the Education Pavilion isn’t being charged for, that would be an additional cost of £68.00 (total)
    - minimum booking 4 hours.
    You could decide to fund raise to cover the session costs, or get people to make a small contribution and then raise the rest.
    As agreed when I first met to discuss the possibility of using the Museum for the sessions, if we are going to continue to provide the Educational Pavilion without charge I need feedback, there is increasing pressure on our funding, we have already had a reduction of funding that was agreed pre the election, additionally we are year on year facing reductions in the grants from Brighton & Hove Council.
    I very much want to ensure that we are supporting groups and enabling people to have access to our Museums and spaces but I need to have information and evidence to back that work." Oh Yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you a whole lot a whole lot by means of this phenomenal submit. I recently really notice fairly useful and intensely effectively bought as well as sent in with each other together. Today just click here and also follow-up search term check cashing Thank you regarding great write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day everybody, My names are Lawrence Jackson, I and my wife are very happy to sharing our great testimonies of our family, The best thing that has ever happened to our family is how we won a lottery, Euro Million Mega Jackpot. I and my wife believe that one day we will win the lottery. Finally our dreams came through when I email Prophet Abulele and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I and my wife have spent so much money on buying ticket just to make sure we win. But we never knew that winning was so easy until the day we meant the great spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very genuine in casting lottery spell, . So we decide to give him a try. We contacted this great Prophet Abulele and he did a spell and gave us the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws came out we were among the lucky winners. I and my wife won (£100,000 one hundred thousand Pounds) Prophet Abulele truly you are the best, with your great power Prophet Abulele. You can win millions of money through lottery. We are very happy to meet this great man, I and my family will forever be grateful to you Prophet Abulele, if you are out there looking for his help you can reach him for easy communication on Whatsapp +2349022406159 or email him via his email prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isiyku Abdulahi
    My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183


    ReplyDelete
  5. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete
  6. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete